“In record-breaking time with support from the local community, The Mississauga Food Bank will be able to provide food for over 2,000,000 meals to our hungry neighbours. Thank you for your trust and investing in us, to make sure that children, seniors, families, and neighbours in Mississauga have access to healthy and nutritious food,” says Meghan Nicholls, Executive Director of The Mississauga Food Bank.
Funds raised throughout the #MississaugaChallenge are already being invested into the local community through distributing food for over 500,000 meals, plus allowing Food Bank to:
- Purchase bulk food at discounted pricing
- Invest in the purchase of PPE equipment, increased sanitation and cleaning
- Adapt from a shopping model to a hamper model with enhanced safety measures
- Launch our emergency food bank seeing 40 families daily
- Scale our Food Bank 2 Home delivery program from 46 to 448 households
- Invest in new partnerships with non-agency members to expand reach
- Grant out one-time funds to our network to support unique operational needs
- Increase communication with those in poverty
In a press statement, the Food Bank thanked everyone who accepted the challenge and became one of the 3,000+ individuals, 100+ businesses and corporations, and 30+ community, religious groups, non-profits, and foundations who pledged their support.
Thank you to those who have made sizeable gifts over $1,000 or fundraised on our behalf for the #MississaugaChallenge that helped us reach over $1,200,000.00.https://www.themississaugafoodbank.org/blog/mississauga-challenge-meets-goal/
Mississauga Mayor Bonnie Crombie posted on social media to share the news with her followers and thanked thousands of Mississaugans helping raise more than 1.2 million dollars.
For further details visit the Mississauga Food Bank website.